About Us

The Barley Mow has changed very little through the ages. Real Ales are kept in the cellar and are still served by hand pump. Today, the pub continues to provide hospitality for locals and visitors alike, and the many photographs and artifacts on its walls give testimony to its long and interesting history. The Barley Mow continues to be run as a busy and well-loved pub – frequented by people from all walks of life, from travellers passing through, to its "locals". Watching the cricket with a pint, leaning on the wall outside in the summer, to the warm glow of the open log fires and a glass of mulled wine in the winter – it remains one of life's constants.


The building that is now The Barley Mow was built in 1705. It was joined to Tilford Green Cottage which dates back to 1601 when Elizabeth I (daughter of Henry VIII) was Tudor Queen of England. The date of which it became an alehouse is presumed to be 1763 as this is inscribed on the chimneystack.

In 1821, William Beldham ("Silver Billy") took over as Landlord. Silver Billy was one of England's most famous cricketers; his picture hangs in the public bar and the original hangs in the Long Room at Lord's Cricket Pavilion. He is said to still haunt the pub.


Cricket is played every Saturday and Sunday afternoon from April to September and photographs of the Tilford Cricket Club in years past can be seen adorning the walls of the pub, as can the famous l'Anson Cup which was won by the Club three years in succession – in 1908, 1909, and 1910 – to win outright. The Barley Mow is the clubhouse of the Tilford Cricket Club.


The Barley Mow – depicting the most typical of English scenes – has been used in many advertising campaigns: British Airways; American Airlines; Rover Cars; and Yardley's Blazer aftershave, to name but a few. It has also been used in many TV productions, the most famous being the BBC's England Their England made in 1974 and, more recently, Poirot, and Hale & Pace. The Hollywood blockbuster Gladiator was filmed in the nearby Bourne Woods in 1999, and The Barley Mow hosted many of the cast and crew.


The Barley Mow is a Grade II listed building within a Conservation Area and is situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty, with medieval bridges at both ends of the village. The bridges were built by the monks of Waverley Abbey, around 1300 AD. The ruins of Waverley Abbey are nearby and there are miles and miles of fantastic, scenic walks and woodland all around the area.

Accommodation: The area abounds with a variety of bed and breakfast establishments and hotels, many within just a few miles of the pub. The historic market town of Farnham is four miles from the pub.