We’re thrilled to be the winner of Best Surrey Pub in Surrey Life magazine’s Food & Drink Awards 2018. Voted for by the people of Surrey it recognises not only our stunning location but the excellent food, drink and warm welcome to be found here.
The Barley Mow has changed very little through the ages. Real ales are kept in the cellar and are still served by hand pump. Today, the pub continues to provide hospitality for locals and visitors alike, and the many photographs and artifacts on its walls give testimony to its long and interesting history. The Barley Mow continues to be run as a busy and well-loved pub – frequented by people from all walks of life, from visitors passing through, to its ‘locals’. Watching the cricket with a pint, leaning on the wall outside in the summer, to the warm glow of the open log fires and a glass of mulled wine in the winter – it remains one of life’s constants
The building that is now The Barley Mow was built in 1705. It was joined to Tilford Green Cottage which dates back to 1601 when Elizabeth I (daughter of Henry VIII) was Tudor Queen of England. The date of which it became an alehouse is presumed to be 1763 as this is inscribed on the chimneystack.
In 1821, William Beldham (“Silver Billy”) took over as Landlord. Silver Billy was one of England’s most famous cricketers; his picture hangs in the public bar and the original hangs in the Long Room at Lord’s Cricket Pavilion. He is said to still haunt the pub.
Cricket is played every Saturday and Sunday afternoon from April to September and photographs of the Tilford Cricket Club in years past can be seen adorning the walls of the pub, as can the famous l’Anson Cup which was won by the Club three years in succession – in 1908, 1909, and 1910 – to win outright. The Barley Mow is the clubhouse of the Tilford Cricket Club.